Another premium parang or machette from MyParang released in the early year of 2022. A design wanted by MyParang for Duku Chandong is now called Village Chandong. Village Chandong comes in 10″ or 12″ blade length with the same fit and finishes and hand-forged and tempered with modern machinery in Pekan Darat, Pulau Pinang rather than in Bidor. There are many variations of Duku Chandong and I prefer the classic design where the leading unsharpened section transitions smoothly into an arc to the trailing sharpened edge.
A 12″ Chandong blade will have a leading 3″ unsharpened section for forward or choke-up grip position for detailing work and a trailing arc of 9″ cutting edge Village Chandong blade’s arc shape lends to a comfortable handling and easy for detailed work as well as for hard chopping tasks while Duku Chandong gentle sloping blade spine is more for hard use.
Myparang Village Chandong 10 Specs:
- Overall length: 41.3cm (16.2″)
- Blade length: 24.7cm (9.7″)
- Handle Length: 16.5cm (6.4″)
- Unsharpened/Blunt section length: 8.7cm (3.4″)
- Cutting Edge Length: 16.5cm (6.4″)
- Narrowest Blade Width: 2cm (0.79″)
- Trailing Cutting Edge Width: 3.5cm (1.8″)
- Widest Blade Width: 5.5cm (2.1″)
- Blade Stock Thickness: 7mm (0.27″)
- Distal Taperred: 3.5mm (0.13″)
- Thickness behind the Blunt section: 7.27mm (0.28″)
- Thickness behind the cutting edge: 0.83mm (0.03″)
- Thickness behind the distal tip: 0.67mm (0.02″)
- Made in Pekan Darat, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
- Stick or rat tail tang construction
- Blade tang is pinned under the copper bolster using 2.5mm Brass pin with epoxy
- Comfortable and traditional handle design
- Handle made of Eco Beech wood from Croatia
- Blade is hand-forged, quenched and zone hardened using 5160 High Carbon steel
- Packed in carton box
- Blade length ‐ 25.5 cm
- Handle length ‐ 17 cm
- Overall length ‐ 41.5 cm
- Widest blade ‐ 6 cm
- Weight ‐ 440 g
- Sheath: Length ‐ 34.5 cm Width ‐ 8 cm Weight ‐ 150 g
- Gross weight ‐ 590 g
These products are hand made, therefore there WILL be slight variations within the same model.
About Unker Buzz : UnkerBuzz gone wild! He rides his bike and camp in the wilderness with all the equipment, food and tools packed in his bike packs for an unsupported bike touring and bikecamping. Come and experience the joy of outdoor life with UnkerBuzz and discovery the tools and equipment for bike camping, bike expeditions and cyclo-touring, wood crafting and trekking. UnkerBuzz will review the tools and equipment he bought and used in many bike touring and bike camping adventures.