Gillman Barracks is a contemporary arts district in Singapore that has international art galleries, cafés, etc., all of which are built in restored colonial barracks. Located near Alexandra Road, and the 6.4-hectare complex encompasses Lock Road and Malan Road in the midst of vegetation. It was jointly developed by The Singapore Economic Development Board, JTC Corporation, and the National Arts Council.
Gillman Barracks was erected in 1936 and was named after General Sir Webb Gillman, a well-known British Army commander. It had soldier barracks, married quarters, and even recreational facilities that were created specifically for the British 1st Battalion before World War II. During World War II, the Barracks and its surrounding region were one of Singapore’s final battlegrounds before her fall to the Japanese. Fortunately, when Singapore regained British control in September 1945, the site survived the war. Even after Singapore’s independence, Gillman Barracks remained a vital training facility for the Singapore Armed Forces.